The Inquiry into the running and handling of GOLDEN THUNDER in Race 8 at the Singapore Turf Club Meeting on Saturday, 09 January 2021 was concluded on Wednesday, 13 January 2021. After taking evidence from Jockey CK Ng (pictured) and Trainer J Lim, the Trainer of GOLDEN THUNDER, Jockey CK Ng was found guilty of a charge under MRA Rule 44(7) in that he, as the rider of GOLDEN THUNDER, in Race 8, the Class 5, Handicap 1200m, prevented or attempted to prevent his mount from running on its merits.
2 The particulars being:
- Shortly after the start, he did unnecessarily restrain GOLDEN THUNDER, resulting in the gelding losing ground and settling at the tail of the field;
- Near the 900m, he over restrained his mount, resulting in the gelding losing more ground than necessary;
- Approaching the 300m, he did check his mount after the gelding had improved close to the heels of SMASH (App WW Cheah) when the opportunity was available to him to shift inwards into clear running;
- Passing the 200m, he did unnecessarily check the gelding when starting to make ground when the opportunity was available to him to shift inwards and continue to improve.
- From the 400m until the Winning Post, he did fail to ride his mount out with sufficient vigour and determination.
3 When deciding on penalty, the Stewards took into account the serious nature of the charge, his record and his personal circumstances. Jockey CK Ng was disqualified for a period of one year with immediate effect from Wednesday, 13 January 2021 to Wednesday, 12 January 2022 both dates inclusive in accordance with the provisions of MRA Rule 44(8)(a). He was advised of his Right of Appeal.
4 The Appeal Panel’s Hearing of the Appeal was concluded on Monday, 01 March 2021.